In Australia, cosmetics do not have to be submitted to any government agency before they are supplied. However there are some regulatory requirements that must be met. The individual ingredients must be listed on the Australian Inventory of Industrial Chemicals (the Inventory) https://www.industrialchemicals.gov.au/search-inventory and must not be subject to a poisons schedule; labelling and packaging must comply with various standards for labels, weights and measures; and claims made must be cosmetic claims, not medical or therapeutic claims.
NOTE: Primary sunscreens, except tinted products, having a claimed SPF of greater than 15 require listing as a 'Medicine' on the Australian Register of Therapeutic Goods (ARTG).
What we can do for you:
- Undertake Inventory searches for ingredient inclusions
- Provide guidance on categorising your chemical
- Prepare and submit applications to the Australian Industrial Chemicals Introduction Scheme (AICIS) for inclusion in the Inventory
Advice on restrictions
- Check all your ingredients against the Poisons Schedule and advise on limits if applicable
- Advise on labelling and packaging requirements
- Review and prepare product claims
- Ensure all marketing materials are compliant with regulations
Australian Industrial Chemicals Introduction Scheme (AICIS) liaison
- Create company registration and annual declarations
- Submit specific information requirement requests
- Submit search requests for the confidential section of the Inventory